Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sounds Like the Evolution Debate Was Entertaining

I haven't heard the audio yet, but last night Michael Shermer and Donald Prothero debated ID advocates Stephen Meyer and Richard Sternberg. Prothero has written the best book I'm aware of laying out the evidence for evolution. Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters. Coyne's book is good but Prothero's book has more detail.

Here's Prothero's account of the events and here is an account from a fan of the ID'ers. Sounds like Prothero is getting under their skin. I bet I'll like what I hear from him when the audio becomes available.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Thanks for the post about this debate. I wasn't aware of it. The subject of Evolution is still one I'm exploring, and the debate and subsequent analysis by both sides seems like an excellent way to dive into the issue. It's a shame that debates like this often turn into an "us v them" mentality, with no one really trying to learn from the other side. I suppose the worldview's of both parties are pretty much mutually exclusive, but the baggage and character attacks on both sides don't help. I wonder what a debate would look like where both sides were really just trying to shed light on the truth (as they saw it) to the other side, and not grandstand, score points with the crowd, etc.

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon said...

You're such a liberal, Jonathan.

Audio is available now.

http://apologetics315.blogspot.com/2009/12/origins-of-life-debate-mp3-audio-meyer.html

It's OK.