Sunday, November 25, 2012

Old Movies Strike a Nerve

In the past I had blogged about re-watching The Sound of Music, a movie that I watched many times while young.  It was a family favorite.  I was a bit taken aback to see that Nazi crimes regarded as outrageous are now the routine and accepted crimes of our government.

I just re-watched the movie Gandhi.  I'd seen it in school in the 8th grade.  There's a scene that follows a British massacre of unarmed civilians.  The British are content to offer apologies, maybe try the commanding officer.  Perhaps that's better than what has been done in the US when you consider Abu Graib and other atrocities.  But the British aren't interested in doing much more, and for Gandhi that is unacceptable.  It's interesting to watch the arguments of the British and notice that the only thing that has changed is the nationalities of the participants.  Watch here.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I love Gandhi,

Here's one of my all time movie scenes which is from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27lMS76hGG0#t=18m10s